est.
July 23,
MonFur Board Index du Forum
MonFur (MONtréal FURry) est un groupe social de furs habitant a Montréal et environs. Dans ce forum vous trouverez plus de details sur nous, les membres, les furmeets et des liens sur trucs qui nous voulaions partager avec vous, notre invité. Allez-y explorer en clickant sur les boutons ci-dessus où les sujets ci-dessous! MonFur (MONtreal FURry) is a social group for furs living in Montreal and its surrounding areas. On this board you will find out more about us, our members, our furmeets, and find convenient links to some web stuff we wanted to share with you, our guest. Please explore by clicking the buttons above or the topics below!
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

A couple of requests

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    MonFur Board Index du Forum -> MonFur Board -> Partager/Share -> Général / General
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Feli

Masculin Capricorne (22déc-19jan) 蛇 Serpent

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-26, 11:40    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

Hello Admin-type people!

Alright, I have 3 rather simple requests for you.

1) Can we please have the layout of the forums modified? Open them up so you can see the subforums and categories from the main window. As it is, half the time I visit the forums I can't immediately see if there's any sub-forum that I need to check. This will help make the site easier to navigate.

2) monfur.ca
Can we just have the domain point directly to the forums if we're not going to be using the actual site any longer? Or, perhaps (depending on the hosting plan) just host the forum directly on the website? Will cause less confusion for public (ie: those not already a part of monfur) in finding us.

3) Can we please reinstate meet announcements (once fully translated) going out to the mailing list?
Some folks don't come to the forums, or don't come often. But they are on the mailing list. This would bring some of the older folks back into the fold, and keep everyone up to date. I know I pay more attention to receiving an email about something then having to go and see IF there's something. 
Often I'm asked "Hey, are you going to the furmeet at XXXX?" and I'm stumped, never having heard of the meet because I didn't check the forum that week.

Just some food for thought while I'm on a roll.

Visiter le site web du posteur
Publicité

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-26, 11:40    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Sifu

Masculin Verseau (20jan-19fev)

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-26, 15:31    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

Hi,

For your first point, the subforums/categories are already accessible from the main page:

For your second point, I second you, but they made a little change in the website making it clearer for newcomers.

For your third point, you already can register and get an email for each new event :

I think your requests were actually already made, except for the website, but it has been made clearer.

Have a nice day.

Dernière édition par Sifu le 2011-07-26, 17:52; édité 1 fois
Feli

Masculin Capricorne (22déc-19jan) 蛇 Serpent

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-26, 15:42    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

Actually, I know that they are listed under the main category headers, but looking for small, orange text doesn't tell me if I want to go read them or not. 
Most forums (and forum software) allows for Category headers to be separators, rather than all people see. The sub-categories list off the most recent posts, etcetera. The layout we're using for the forums currently is a little cross-kilter with standards.

Secondly: yes, there is a large blurb of text on the top of the actual Monfur website, saying it is now defunct. Stylistically it's poor design. Just have the URL point directly to the forums, or move the forums to the hosted SQL databases (and get rid of the adverts, this is just PHPBB after all). There's no point in keeping the site up as it is if it's not being updated or used. 

last point: we actually have a mailing list, which is publicized on Wikifur, and which has many members. The list has been around for a very long time, and many of the people on it are not members of the forum (for various reasons). 

I'm not nagging, just trying to make things better for everyone.

Firebreath

Masculin Vierge (24aoû-22sep) 狗 Chien

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-26, 16:51    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

Sifu,

First off, I would like to say that I hope your use of oversized font is a glitch and/or mistake; this sort of text is usually a break of standard netiquette. Just saying...

Second, for your answer to Feli's third point:
The fallacy within that train of logic is that everyone who was on the mailing list is also on the forums, which isn't the case. Unless everyone that is on the mailing list migrates here, this option is still a less-than-ideal solution. Considering that we have many long-standing members that are still on the mailing list but not on the forums, it remains a viable, reasonable choice to keep using it.
I've been a big proponent of making announcements on the mailing list with the more important details and then make sure to include a link to the forums for all the additional details. This keeps in line with the goal of the mailing list (easy to use, mass delivery, concise information) as well as keep the forums a usable, useful choice.
The idea is not to phase out the forums or the mailing list, but to use both in concert to reach the maximum amount of people as possible.

As for Feli's other comments:
1) Although it WOULD, indeed, be preferable, we would have to see if XOOIT allows such a layout. Without having access to the code and/or full customization, the admins might be limited in what they can do.

2) I agree on both accounts. Having the domain point here would make sense. And if the hosting of the current websites allows it, having the forums hosted there with a standard free package (phpBB, for instance) would probably be pretty good; no more ads intruding! I like that idea! Not to mention we could easily add various fields (species field, anyone?) which could prove useful, IMHO.

Sifu

Masculin Verseau (20jan-19fev)

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-26, 19:36    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

Firebreath a écrit:
Sifu,

First off, I would like to say that I hope your use of oversized font is a glitch and/or mistake; this sort of text is usually a break of standard netiquette. Just saying...

[...]

Sorry, fixed

holy wolf

Masculin Taureau (20avr-20mai)

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-26, 22:00    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

I have to agree that keeping an out of date site ain't the brightest idea. I'd definitivly vote for converting the website and forum to a nice phpbb format

Moopa

Féminin Vierge (24aoû-22sep) 龍 Dragon

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-27, 09:50    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

I agree, there isn't much I can say that hasn't been said

Firebreath

Masculin Vierge (24aoû-22sep) 狗 Chien

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-27, 11:49    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

CobaltWolf a écrit:

True, though you should probably state with which opinion you are agreeing with. ;3

Moopa

Féminin Vierge (24aoû-22sep) 龍 Dragon

MessagePosté le: 2011-07-28, 00:04    Sujet du message: A couple of requests Répondre en citant

Firebreath a écrit:
CobaltWolf a écrit:

True, though you should probably state with which opinion you are agreeing with. ;3
Sorry I agree with Feli he said everythign for me I just never put it into words.

The monfur.ca should link right to forums if the site is closed and just a forum now.

the format of the broads is annoying if its possible to look more like furry.ca or something it would be much better

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 19:05    Sujet du message: A couple of requests

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    MonFur Board Index du Forum -> MonFur Board -> Partager/Share -> Général / General Toutes les heures sont au format GMT - 5 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation