est.
July 23,
MonFur Board Index du Forum
MonFur (MONtréal FURry) est un groupe social de furs habitant a Montréal et environs. Dans ce forum vous trouverez plus de details sur nous, les membres, les furmeets et des liens sur trucs qui nous voulaions partager avec vous, notre invité. Allez-y explorer en clickant sur les boutons ci-dessus où les sujets ci-dessous! MonFur (MONtreal FURry) is a social group for furs living in Montreal and its surrounding areas. On this board you will find out more about us, our members, our furmeets, and find convenient links to some web stuff we wanted to share with you, our guest. Please explore by clicking the buttons above or the topics below!
 FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Got a Suit? Want to play? =D

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    MonFur Board Index du Forum -> MonFur Board -> Partager/Share -> Général / General
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Chioxin

Masculin Poissons (20fev-20mar)

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-13, 12:21    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

Heya!

So just recently I have crafted a Tauren thing, and I really don't want to just let him sit in the closet and attract the moths. I want to get out there and use him! Have some fun! Make some heads turn and get some pictures taken =) So, I know there's a number of you with suits out there who likely want to do the same thing.... Who would be interested in doing this kind of thing, suiters and handlers? If there's enough interest I'll start trying to post when I can do it, and rally the furs to do so, giving at least 2 weeks notice. I'd also like to talk to those who have hosted these kinds of events before and kind of get a heads up on what to expect and be ready for, or in general how to make them enjoyable and problem free. [Firebreath?]

Just note this is more of a post trying to get a head count, because if it's just wolfbird, wizzy, and me, well, I feel kinda naked out there in public with too few =P I'd like to have a hand full of furs willing and able to do this with a handful of handlers too.

I've been told that the Old Port is a hot spot to go do this at, are there any other spots like some of the parks? Is there a good location to get changed into costume? =) Also, since I'm /really/ new to this, what kinds of activities go well with this kind of thing?

Publicité

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-13, 12:21    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Firebreath

Masculin Vierge (24aoû-22sep) 狗 Chien

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-14, 08:35    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

I heard my name? I knew my floppy ears didn't deceive me. ;3

Frankly, the best rule to follow when organizing that sort of event is "Use Common Sense".
Also, in deciding the location, you have to ask yourself basic questions:
  1. What do you hope to achieve with the meet (advertisement for furries, making kids smile, just have fun, charity event, etc...)?
    This is important has it will change how people will be expected to act and answers that handlers might have to provide.
  2. Do you have enough handlers for the location (IE: limited-access doesn't require a handler per suiter, however an area with lots of people could likely require a 1:1 ratio, if not more handlers per suiter even).
    A good number for closed location can be as low as 1:5 (handler:suiter), but for heavy-traffic open public areas, you can go as high as 2:1. When me, Feli and Skippy went to the Old Port, we had 5 handlers and, to be honest, any lower number than this would have been an issue. But it was during the Jewish Passover and LOTS of people where there because of the holiday, so that probably made things more chaotic. I wouldn't be surprised that, under normal circumstances, you could get away with a 1:1 in that area.
  3. Does the terrain cause a problem for people with limited vision? (Old Port: not so much. Labyrinth: oh hell yeah.)
  4. Have you checked with the people who own the area/are in charge of the area if it's okay (IE: Forum on not-halloween day; I got burned by that one once).
  5. Are facilities available to change or do you have to do it in the car?
  6. Is access to water easy or do you have to bring your own?
  7. Does it have an easy-to-spot landmark where everyone can gather or fallback to in case of an emergency?
  8. Any way to "ruin the magic" to take a break without people seeing it?
I would have to SERIOUSLY stress point #2; handlers are the lifeline of suiters and can also provide coverage with video and photography. Not to mention that having handlers with the suiters' ID helps provide a big part of the safety net required by such an event.

Suiters that show up/you invite should be aware of the following:
  1. What type of location it is at and time.
  2. Goal of the meet.
  3. Changing facilities.
  4. Gathering/Fallback area.
  5. Refreshments (provided/BYO).

Handlers should be aware of the following:
  1. Number of expected suiters.
    Lists of attending people tends to solve this issue...
  2. Offer to provide photography/video coverage (if possible and/or have the knowledge).
  3. Carry a small backpack (emergency bottle of water, IDs, cellphones, etc...)
  4. Phone # of person in charge/main contact during the event if the organizer is in suit.
  5. Not required, but if they have first aid training, to mention it (always a plus!!).
  6. Will FRS/GMRS radios be required/preferable?
    Those can come in extremely handy for bigger-sized groups in open areas.
Just remember that the more suiters you have, depending on your location, the more handlers you'll need. And though three might sound like "not many", it's a very manageable number, especially in open public areas.

As for the Old Port itself, the big issue with that one is always expenses. Parking is expensive, drinks are expensive... and if the weather isn't conducing to suiting, very little cover where you can keep away from wetness, which is a real problem at this time of the year (well, can be...).
Don't get me wrong; it's a wonderful place to suit and the folks responsible for the area are open to suiters (well, didn't have problems last time anyway). And there's always a bunch of kids, too!! Quite a wonderful place to do this stuff. Just be advised that you'll need plenty of handlers/spotters and it will be hard on your body (you'll have to kneel a lot for the kids, to be less intimidating - bring tactical kneepads!).

I hope this helps somewhat; these are the rules/guidelines I try to follow whenever I make a suit meet post and I find them to be good starting points for planning, too. :3
I'm not saying this list is perfect, by a longshot. But it's a start. Feel free to question anything on there, even me personally, if you think you have a better idea and/or way of doing things.

As for a suggestion, if this will be your first time outside in suit, I'd consider a slightly less busy area. It was really hard and there isn't really anywhere where to take a break to cool off (see point #8). The area is vast with nowhere to really go, unfortunately, besides back at the car.
If you're already used to it, then go right ahead!
Also, Old Port doesn't offer any way of changing besides your car. Going next to the clock tower, though, tends to make things easier as it's not as heavy foot-traffic as the piers themselves.
As far as activities go... depends what you wanna do! :3

And, as a heads-up, you might want to give something along 3-4 weeks advance warning with alternate dates if the weather isn't conducing to a suiting event. Some of us prep our schedules that far in advance. ;3

Visiter le site web du posteur
Chioxin

Masculin Poissons (20fev-20mar)

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-15, 18:22    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

Yup! OK, really need to talk to you then I think, as I /really/ badly want to get into and do more of this now that I've had a taste.

My only experiences so far were, Mount Royal Metro prior to the zombie walk, and then the bowling night. The Mount Royal thing was just to have fun and hang out with zombies, as well as walk from there to the park with friends guiding us for Halloween jazz. We had 4 people for 2 suiters. Then the bowling thing was just cool and fun.

So, I LACKETH EXPERIENCE! =) That's for sure. Lot's of really great pointers there though, and now... I'm intimidated.

By the way, I just stopped by the Forum today on the way home from work, and talked to their manager. He said it was pretty awesome and he'd love to have us back on a "non" Halloween night. So I'm not sure what's going on there, or who you talked to at least. He gave me his card, email, and number to set up reservations if we wanted to do that. So, I'd say that's a go if we were interested, and I wouldn't mind at all being a contact in setting that up.

Anyway, gonna send you a PM too!

Wolfbird

Féminin Sagittaire (22nov-21déc) 鼠 Rat

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-15, 22:48    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

I'd totally go bowling again! I very much liked that idea; since it's closed-environment it's likely going to be less chaotic?

In your experience, are handlers hard to find? I don't really know many local furs but the ones I do all have costumes. I hope this goes somewhere, I want to get serious with making them professionally and I really should learn to stop being so awkward while wearing them :I

Firebreath

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-17, 07:18    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

Chioxin a écrit:
By the way, I just stopped by the Forum today on the way home from work, and talked to their manager. He said it was pretty awesome and he'd love to have us back on a "non" Halloween night. So I'm not sure what's going on there, or who you talked to at least. He gave me his card, email, and number to set up reservations if we wanted to do that. So, I'd say that's a go if we were interested, and I wouldn't mind at all being a contact in setting that up.

It's a good place, for sure. Parking tends to be not-too-hard to get to and everything. And it's smack at the beginning of downtown, so if we need (or want) to go out, it's always a possibility. :3

Chioxin a écrit:
So, I LACKETH EXPERIENCE! =) That's for sure. Lot's of really great pointers there though, and now... I'm intimidated.

Don't get me wrong; I'm hardly the most experienced suiter out there. XD
Most of my knowledge actually comes from spotting for Loopy. A few things I learned here and there, up and about, here and over, lickety-spliff... that sort of things.
And don't be intimidated; it's actually really not that hard. I mean, gosh, if I can manage, anyone can. ;3

Wolfbird a écrit:
I'd totally go bowling again! I very much liked that idea; since it's closed-environment it's likely going to be less chaotic?

Depends on the crowd present; that bowling area is sizable and has a bar, so I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of people sometimes gather there. However, easier to control the area, despite everything else. :3

Wolfbird a écrit:
In your experience, are handlers hard to find? I don't really know many local furs but the ones I do all have costumes.

It depends on timing and who's willing to be there, really. Although I do have a fursuit, I've put off wearing it to spot/photo for people before, so not a big deal. And, worst case scenario, there's always the possibility of rotating who's going to spot if we only ever get suiters. Gives everyone the chance of getting experience in and out of the suit (which, I have to say, is tremendously useful for all parties involved, even as a suiter).

Wolfbird a écrit:
I want to get serious with making them professionally and I really should learn to stop being so awkward while wearing them :I

That's pretty awesome! Very Happy
Although I'm still kind of a wet nose when it comes to performing (still got tons to learn), I would strongly suggest to go to a few cons that have fursuiting panels; WTF tends to have a few and I know for a fact that Furfright, every years, has 2-3 by JD Puppy (who's a great performer, by the way) on how to perform and/or dance in suit.

Zanian

Masculin Poissons (20fev-20mar) 蛇 Serpent

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-18, 15:21    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

Wolfbird a écrit:
In your experience, are handlers hard to find? I don't really know many local furs but the ones I do all have costumes. I hope this goes somewhere, I want to get serious with making them professionally and I really should learn to stop being so awkward while wearing them :I

I can always be an handler Razz

hf-fox

Masculin

MessagePosté le: 2011-11-19, 13:21    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

If the time and date is good I would be willing to tag along as a handler. This would me my first time though, but I have been reading alot on the subject since I have been trying to build my own suit. Got experience in crowd and children control from the summer job I had the last couple of years. Also trained in first aid and cpr if anything were to happen.

Terror

Balance (23sep-22oct) 龍 Dragon

MessagePosté le: 2012-04-10, 15:47    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

Im IN for anything with fursuit, ill have mine like next month ,  :p
or my partial will be done pretty soon (like head and tail are done this week-end)

**** as long as its not in the AM , im in... i live by night so....****

Edd

Poissons (20fev-20mar) 兔 Lapin

MessagePosté le: 2012-04-10, 18:14    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

For myself it's ANYTIME in a day. But I've to ask for days off. It's more fun in the day time, less more with the sun, but don't care. Much more kids in the day. :3

Can't wait.

hf-fox

Masculin

MessagePosté le: 2012-04-10, 21:34    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

Well given that I now have the suit now I have been enjoying the fursuit meets which we have had. I would probably not say no to a suting opportunity.

That is the reasin why I was unable to come to the brunch. Was volunteering for a municipal easter egg hunt where they needed someone in their mascot costume. So many kids....  Shocked  , I think I am now able to handle them while in suit.

Firebreath

MessagePosté le: 2012-04-13, 17:02    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

hf-fox a écrit:
So many kids....  Shocked  , I think I am now able to handle them while in suit.
That's what YOU THINK...
And then, there comes more... and you get zerged...

hf-fox

Masculin

MessagePosté le: 2012-04-13, 17:09    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D Répondre en citant

Firebreath a écrit:
hf-fox a écrit:
So many kids....  Shocked  , I think I am now able to handle them while in suit.

That's what YOU THINK...
And then, there comes more... and you get zerged...

Well the DJ was definitely not mascot friendly. He had the kids jump on us after we had just danced for them. Being tired and having kids run towards you is definitely not a good equation. At least they don't have alot of weight yet in their tackles.

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 00:31    Sujet du message: Got a Suit? Want to play? =D

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    MonFur Board Index du Forum -> MonFur Board -> Partager/Share -> Général / General Toutes les heures sont au format GMT - 5 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation